The Spanish section focuses on helping students advance in language proficiency and acquire an abiding knowledge of the rich linguistic and cultural heritage of the Hispanic world.
Together, our students and faculty explore Hispanic culture and language through a wide variety of courses and activities such as:
- Diverse academic topics combining traditional and innovative approaches from intermediate Spanish in our Intensive Summer Language Institute to Don Quixote and the birth of the novel, Spanish for medical professions, Mexican cinema, Spanish dialects, to the transition from dictatorship to democracy in Spain and Argentina, Spanish corpus-based linguistics, and translation studies
- Undergraduate and graduate research projects undertaken jointly with our faculty in their respective scholarly fields
- Active participation in campus and community connections like tutoring Spanish-speaking children at El Buen Pastor or interpreting at the Community Care Center , and the unique art exhibitions and theater performances brought by the WFU Cuba Project
- Club Hispano where students socialize, practice speaking Spanish, and enjoy Hispanic culture in activities ranging from Spanish Christmas carols karaoke to film screenings, mesa de conversación and student/faculty poetry readings.
- Study abroad programs in Spain, Chile and Argentina
- Presentations by internationally recognized speakers, authors, and film-makers and professional academic conferences featuring student panels and participants